Gloster Meteor

Discussion in 'Warbirds International' started by kangaa, May 27, 2003.

1. Mach-1

Mach-1 Well-Known Member

Big Jo...

This is version is last of Meteors.... maybe after 1950....

The Tail of Meteor in WW2 outher...

Salute !!!

The Brasil use this is version :)

[​IMG]

[ ]'s

Last edited: May 29, 2003
  2. HoHun

HoHun FH Beta Tester

Hi Ozemale,

>Many ppl have already pointed out that this is not as fast as other planes reds already have in late war

Many people have been wrong :) The Meteor would be the fastest Red plane at low altitudes where most of the action takes place on Freehost.

Regards,

Henning (HoHun)

3. dedman

dedman New Member

This whole thread is pointless!! Even if they give the reds this plane it would be no better than the tempest. Every time a gold plane went past the rear fuse would fall off.

But all that aside if the golds can have a jet than why not the reds? It would be in the intrest of GAME BALANCE if not just player balance.

I would like to know why people bitch about getting the big arena and then nobody gos there to play?? Take lastnight 10 reds to 4 golds. atleast in the small arena we had better than 20 player at any given time.

thankyou for reading my post :)

4. Odisseo

Odisseo Well-Known Member

Reds want meteor for balance? and i want something to balance La7 :rolleyes:

Wouldn't be better spend our efforts for more early planes? (since in 1940 we have really few planes to fly?) instead of the usual latewar uberplane? As it is for me Me262 could be removed it's an useless plane, funny to fly but i don't like to be a fling tediousness for opponent side, same is for La7 wich is unkillable if piloted as it need to be flown.
    It's maybe time to fly a little bit more JU52/Li2 and have fun with cooperations instead of foo furballs.

5. HoHun

HoHun FH Beta Tester

Hi Odisseo,

>Reds want meteor for balance?

No. Golds want Meteor for balance so that they can fly the Me 262.

Both jets were flying combat missions in WW2 from 1944 on. The Me 262 saw much more combat, but if we need to bring in the Meteor to get the Me 262 into the game, I have no problems with that.

>As it is for me Me262 could be removed it's an useless plane, funny to fly but i don't like to be a fling tediousness for opponent side, same is for La7 wich is unkillable if piloted as it need to be flown.

Nonsense on the Me 262, and nonsense on the La-7. I'd prefer a Me 109K, an Fw 190D or even a P-51 over a La-7 any day. Not that the La-7 isn't a great fighter, but it's not better than the other three - just different.

>It's maybe time to fly a little bit more JU52/Li2 and have fun with cooperations instead of foo furballs.

I'm a tactical pilot who avoids furballs whereever possible, and consider your "foo furball" remark quite silly :) Jets were a reality in WW2, they require different tactics in combat, and I've never seen a placard on the instrument panel saying "Stay in low-alt furball at all times" :)

Regards,

Henning (HoHun)

6. Kutya

Kutya Banned

Hi HoHun.

7. Malino

Malino Well-Known Member

What gave you that idea? Personnally I agree with Odi we need more early and early-mid war planes, especially Gold planes in early 1941 when we're limited to the A6M2, 109E, Ki43 & Ki27 against an armada of Red planes (Spit I, Spit IIa, Spit Vc, Lagg3, P40B, F4F-3, Hurri I, Mig 3 Type 1, Mig 3 type 2, Hurri IIc, I16 type 28, I16 type 29, I153)

Dunno about where you are but it's summer here and the suns out in Europe (for a change in England 2) which means going out and having a life in the evenings for a change.

Bullcrap. adding in another Jet would cause more problems with game balance not less, I hope alot of the older players here will agree with me in saying the fun of this game is the knife fight when you're pitting your skill and knowledge of your plane against your opponents, jets (especailly early ones) tend to do only 3 things, fly straight, dive and climb.

This wouldn't bother me in the slightest, personnaly I think the arena has been more balanced (and fun) since both the La5-FN and La7 were removed.

Malino

8. -cbfs-

-cbfs- Well-Known Member

Where the flowers bloom like madness in the spri-i
    'I don't see why it can't be used for A2A combat'

Because it wasn't! Simple...

As for the whole gold camp flying 262 when available, I say raise the streak level to 10, for being able to FLY it, not for having no fuel restriction.

<S>

9. -cbfs-

-cbfs- Well-Known Member

'if the Allies had an aircraft capable of taking on the Me 262, this might be different!'

I've read stories where well flown P-51s could neutralize well flown Me262s... So the problem lies with the red pilots :rolleyes: (or the gold pilots :D)

If I remember the link where I saw the story, I'll post it here...

<S>

PS : We need more early-middle war planes...

<S> No2

<Z> to Zembla

10. Odisseo

Imo it is an american person who writted an american story :)

11. -cbfs-

-cbfs- Well-Known Member

Lol, it was! But I think the guy was still right... If something that turns badly approaches you at very high speed, you just ... turn

Nothing magic to it... Cooperative flying can result in dead jets, believe me! Once I was engaged by three Yaks and foolishly chose to fight them. While I was busy attacking one, the others would position themselves to attack me. Shortly before I decided to disengage (no ammo) I got hit, my fuel was on fire and I had to bail out!

People who whine about 262, simply don't know how to avoid it...

Introducing the Meteor as a balancing factor against 262 is totaly unrealistic (in historic terms), but could be done for the sake of playability and only playability (a poll would be a good idea).

12. -cbfs-

-cbfs- Well-Known Member

Oooops!

<S> (forgot)

13. Odisseo

And what about 3 x 262 winging? :D
    I don't think admins are going to add another jet fighter, they are already and really bz with much others stuff.

btw, pool on WB FH are useless :rolleyes:

14. Glas

Glas Well-Known Member

I agree with Malino/Odi, we need more early war planes especially on the Gold side. And to compensate, I wouldnt bat an eyelid if admins removed the 262. I only get to fly it once every 3 or so ToDs so it would be no great loss to me. Besides, I always hit the ground on dives in it and lose my streak, so yeah, get rid of the thing! :)

Another jet in the Arena? I have to say, it probably would balance the 262 out a bit and maybe make it a bit more appealing, but again I would rather just see the 262 removed and efforts put in to increasing the quantity and quality of early planes.

-glas-

15. Mach-1

Mach-1 Well-Known Member

tsc tsc tsc...

Removed 262 is not solution... 262 fly in 1944 against U.S./RAF Buff... is real.... many guys fly WB because simulation RL....

.... But in we need more early planes I agree

Need He-111 , do-17/217 , sworfish , P-36/H75 , P-51A , A-20, end outher more... humm remember d520 !

But need late plans too , Ki-44 / ki-45/ Ki-46 / B6N / B-26 / TBM-3[with rockets] , A-26....

But removed 262 is not correct solution....

Salute guys

16. RolandGarros

RolandGarros Well-Known Member

Rather than try to balance the 262 scourge with the Meteor (which probably wouldn't do the job anyway and would be somewhat unrealistic - the Meteor never serving as an A2A fighter in WWII, just an interceptor for unpiloted aircraft) maybe a better solution would be to add the allies own late war technological marvel, the B-29:

B-29 Superfortress, Boeing
    The B-29 heavy bomber set new standards in performance, armament and range. It was used only in the Pacific, finally dropping the A-bombs on Hiroshima and Nagasaki. After the war it became the main means of delivery for nuclear bombs. The USSR copied it as the {Tu-4}. The KB-29 was the tanker version of the B-29, the SB-29 the search & rescue version, carrying a lifeboat; the DB-29 was a drone controller, the TB-29 a trainer, the RB-29 a reconaissance aircraft. Some B-29s were also used as launch aircraft for research aircraft like the {X-1} and {X-2}. 3970 were built. The type was developed into the more powerful {B-50}.
    Type: B-29A
    Function: bomber
    Year: 1943
    Crew: 10
    Engines: 4 * 1600kW Wrigth R-3350-23
    Wing Span: 43.05m
    Length: 30.18m
    Height: 9.02m
    Wing Area: 161.27m2
    Empty Weight: 31815kg
    Max.Weight: 56245kg
    Speed: 575km/h
    Ceiling: 9710m
    Range: 5230km
    Armament: 1*g20mm, 12*mg12.7mm, 9072kg

It would be a lot of work for the most excellent FH crew add the Superfort and probably not worth all the trouble if it was only avalaible for the last 8 hours like the 262. One B-29 sortie could last longer than 8 hours anyway. IMHO if the exalted FH gang (Protectors of the poor, Empress of India, etc.) were to adject the code so as to improve the game in any way, the best way they could spend their time would be to add clouds (even ugly square ones would make the game more exciting) or make CV task forces steerable.

17. Glas

Glas Well-Known Member

I dont agree Roland, reds already have more than enough buffs that already excels anything the golds have in the Arena. Adding another 'superbuff' would just turn me off Gold buffs even more. Besides, B17s are practically invisible anyway so long as they are high enough.

@Mach: I didnt say removing 262 was a solution. What I meant was that if removing this plane (and therefore removing reds requests for a plane to match it) admins could concentrate on early war planes, which you have to admit is badly needed.

-glas-

18. HoHun

HoHun FH Beta Tester

Hi Malino,

>>No. Golds want Meteor for balance so that they can fly the Me 262.

>What gave you that idea?

Talk to Golds a little, and fly for Gold a little, and you'll see it's pretty obvious.

>Personnally I agree with Odi we need more early and early-mid war planes, especially Gold planes in early 1941 when we're limited to [...]

You're invited to start your own thread for that - I'd recommend to have a look at the Me 109E-7/N for example. I can provide you with good data on this plane if you like.

In this thread, however, we're talking about the Gloster Meteor.

>I hope alot of the older players here will agree with me in saying the fun of this game is the knife fight when you're pitting your skill and knowledge of your plane against your opponents

I enjoy pitting my skill and knowledge against my opponents', and the faster I go the more fun it is. Some of my most memorable fights were in P-51s against Me 262s, and I'm sure I could have the same type of great fight in a Me 109K against the Gloster Meteor. Flying a Me 262 would be even better, though, but since it's enabled only very briefly for game balance reasons, I've not managed to do so for ages.

Your comment, however, reminds me of an observation on players' characters: I've often noticed that furballers like to think the only slow planes require any kind of skill and knowledge, and that everyone who's not playing the game according to their rules is ruining their fun.

I'd not suggest to make a decision on which plane to include or not on that type of thinking, though.

The jets were real, they flew in combat, and their had their own sets of strength and weaknesses that should be portrayed in the game.

Regards,

Henning (HoHun)

19. HoHun

HoHun FH Beta Tester

Hi Kutya! :)

Are you representing the silent majority in this thread? ;-)

20. HoHun

HoHun FH Beta Tester

Hi Glas,

>Another jet in the Arena? I have to say, it probably would balance the 262 out a bit and maybe make it a bit more appealing, but again I would rather just see the 262 removed and efforts put in to increasing the quantity and quality of early planes.

Remove the Me 262? It was the peak of the development, the best of the best! That would be like the Formula 1 without Ferrari, or the World Cup without Brazil!

As in both sports examples, the real challenge is to find a worthy opponent :) The Meteor seems to fit the bill.

Regards,

Henning (HoHun)